Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Kimchi fried rice (Gimchi bokkeum bap)


Kimchi fried rice (Gimchi bokkeum bap)

September is here already. Crazy ain’t it ? The weather is getting cooler. Kids are back to school. Fall produces are coming up soon. I love every bit of fall, probably more than summer. If only it would stop at fall and never goes to winter 🙂 But…that’s not how things work here! I survived my daughter’s first day of Kindergarten. Seeing her walking through that school’s main entrance wasn’t easy. I felt like part of me was taken (though I can be assure you every part is still intact). Something that I never understood before I became a mother. Few nights before I even questioned myself if I was a bad mom for not homeschooling her. But again, I know I wouldn’t be able to do a good job as a teacher. I’m a horrible horrible teacher. I have no patience when it comes to teaching! Yes, you read that right! ZERO patience! She has lots of fun at school and that gives this heart some peace.

Most of the days, lunch is only me and Iven. So, I just fix something simple for us. The guy will eat pretty much anything. Fried rice often makes its appearance during lunch time. When I said that you could put anything you want in your fried rice, this is another example, kimchi fried rice. I often have kimchi in the fridge. And we almost always have left over rice in our house. Sometimes, I intentionally cook more so that I can resort to fried rice if I do decide at the very last minute that I don’t feel like messing much at the kitchen that day. I like biting into a little sourness from the kimchi, balanced by some saltiness and nuttiness from the sesame oil. I did add some chili powder because some of you who know me, know that I’m a chili addict (impossible to cure and don’t want to be cured). My kids like them with some pan-fried dried anchovies and peanuts.

In the photos, I paired the kimchi fried rice with some panko-crusted pan-fried firm tofu for meatless option.
Kimchi fried rice (Gimchi bokkeum bap)


Kimchi fried rice (Gimchi bokkeum bap) (2 servings)
What you will need:
  • 1 Tbsp cooking oil
  • ½ medium onion (peeled and diced)
  • 4 oz pork loin, cut into small pieces (you can use chicken or beef too or no meat at all)
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 3 Cups cooked long-grain rice (chilled or best..overnight cooked rice)
  • 2 green onions (cut into 2-inch length)
  • 1 Cup kimchi, coarsely chopped, with its liquid
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 Tbsp Korean chili powder (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Heat a wok/large skillet until really hot. Add in cooking oil and swirl to coat. Add the onion and pork until the onion is browned and the pork is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes
  2. Lower the heat to medium, add the butter and sesame oil, add in the rice and stir fry for about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the green onions and kimchi with its liquid and cook until the green onions are limp but still retain their color, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder (if using) and salt to taste. Mix well. Turn off heat and serve immediately
Kimchi fried rice (Gimchi bokkeum bap) Reviewed by Ekoy on 02:30 Rating: 5

No comments:

All Rights Reserved by Recipes Blogger © 2015 - 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.