Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Ma lai gao (Cantonese style steamed cake)


Ma lai go (Cantonese style steamed cake)
Ma Lai Go is one of my favorite steamed cakes. I had this very often for breakfast when I lived in Singapore. I stopped by this little shop on my way to work to get them. This sponge cake is light and springy almost like angel food cake, but I think angel food cake is much lighter as it has only egg whites and this cake uses whole eggs. You will see this cake at dim sum restaurants as well. The Chinese likes to steam this cake in a round pan. Round is being interpreted as “smooth” – Everything will go smoothly for everyone.

This ma lai go recipe is a courtesy of a friend, Sandra Yap. I saw her making these ma lai go one day and I just knew I had to try out her recipe. This lady cooks up some serious good food that just make me drool like Pavlov’s dog!!! Thank you so much Sandra, for your recipe. I love this recipe more than the one I made before and decided to update this recipe. I believe you guys will really enjoy this too!!


Ma lai gao (Cantonese-style steamed cake) - 9 inch round cake
What you will need:
  • 180 gr coconut sugar (you can use brown sugar)
  • 5 extra large eggs
  • 110 gr cooking oil (I used melted coconut oil)
  • 130 gr whole milk
  • 280 gr all-purpose flour
  • 25 gr custard powder (you can use other flavor you like such as matcha)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp salt
Instructions:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs until they are light and fluffy. Add in oil and milk and continue to whisk until smooth. Gradually add in flour and the rest of the ingredients and whisk until you get a smooth batter with no lumps. Cover and let the batter rest for 30 minutes or longer
  2. Prepare your steamer by bringing the water to a boil. I used four 4.5-inch round mini cake pans. You can use one 9-inch round pan. I place the pan in the steamer and let heat up for about 5 minute. Pour the batter into the pan and let them steam for about 40 mins for large 9-inch pan or until tooth pick inserted into middle comes out clear. I steamed for about 35 minutes for 4.5-inch round pan. If you choose to use smaller size, such as muffin cups, steam for about 15 minutes
  3. Remove from the steamer. Let them cool down a little bit and can be served warm or room temperature

It’s a good thing I had some before the kids got a hold of them because I just made them in the afternoon and there is only one left !!!! That’s how crazy people in our house is! ha..ha..! I should’ve known by now!
Ma lai gao (Cantonese style steamed cake) Reviewed by Ekoy on 03:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

All Rights Reserved by Recipes Blogger © 2015 - 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.